Despite my snarky attitude, I can be very naive and gullible when it comes to strangers. Not unless you're screaming DANGER in bold, red, glowing letters, I'm more likely to give you a chance and get to know you before I make any "judgment". Red flags are pretty obvious and standard when it comes to people like no psychos or shit like that. Then there are the orange flags or things that are subjective that made me pause and heed.
My Top Orange Flags
- When they use your own words on you. Sure, we can have the same interests, but this one dude told me Hey, I'm a hopeless romantic too! Which is kind of a conversation starter because what dude would admit that? I should've known as soon as he said it (duh!) but it took me a few conversations and several dates to find out that it was all a fucking line! It all dawned on me when I asked him what he meant by being a hopeless romantic because he hasn't been doing any "romantic" shit, and his reply was, Aren't we all? Thank god he paid for the dates!
- When they don't make the move to call or meet you. Trust me, there are a lot of people out there who are professional online daters. For whatever reason, they're all too happy just to converse online even if y'all have good chemistry. Worst case scenario, dude's married or in a relationship or some shit like that.
- When they had a "crazy" ex. I mean I guess we all have one of those, but this one dude I went out with told me his ex almost stabbed him and that said girl was clinically crazy. I didn't really ask much but it did make me wonder what pushed the chick over the edge to attempt bodily harm like that. Hmmm....
- When they keep planning dates wayyyy into the future. Like slow your role, I'm feeling pressured here when I'm not even sure I want to go out with you on a second date.
- When they don't get your jokes. I personally think that sense of humor is important and that you should be with someone who matches yours. Nothing is lame-r than having to explain your jokes.
I'm not playing the advisor here and it totally depends on your limits and what you're looking for. I personally just want to cut the BS and proceed to pursuing something with a "possible". Sure I can go out on a date with a different person every weekend, it COULD be fun, but that's not why I'm doing this. I seriously want the same kind of crazy chemistry that makes us swoon like the couples in Kate Meader's Hot in Chicago series; I want a sexy nerd like in Jennifer Probst's Searching For series; I want explosive connection a la Jessica Lemmon's Second Chance!
Anyway, I'm going to cut this short because I have a phone call to answer. Feel free to share your orange flags below, I need all the tips that I can get!