Night Angels Chronicles 1
Young Adult Fantasy
February 20, 2016
“Be careful who you love, it just might kill you.”When Sera’s father is killed in a horrific accident, all he leaves behind is a mysterious key. Sera places the key on a chain around her neck and vows to avenge her father. Strange characters arrive in town including the otherworldly Night Angels, who claim to be sent for her protection.Sera falls hard for one of them—exotic, arrogant Peter. But what if his promise of love is only a ruse to gain access to the key? As Sera’s connection to the key grows, so do her supernatural powers. Guided by clues left by her father, Sera searches for the hidden chamber beneath the city, hoping to save what lies within before the sinister mayor and his deadly followers drown humanity in a bloodbath.
Is it me or is the vampire persuasion making a comeback? Lately, I've been seeing LOTS of vampire books, some are new, some old series, that my fellow bloggers are reading. I personally haven't read a solid vampire-based novel in a LONG time. And while I'm pondering on picking up a fanged romance, here's a short 101 for all of us. I love the cover and the theme is so old-school vampire fantasy.
Seven Things You Should Know
- THE MYTHOS...it is absolutely true (and verifiable in a January 29, 1934, Los Angeles Times article) that there is a Hopi legend about a Lizard City built beneath Los Angeles 5000 years ago by an advanced civilization to escape a rain of fire. More than 280 tunnels exist and somewhere in that maze lies a chamber holding a tablet with the Secrets to the Origins of Life. Anyone possessing the tablet will have the power of God. In 1933, mining expert Warren G. Schufelt presented enough evidence to the LA City Council that they funded his excavation to find the tablet and other treasure. Schufelt had almost tunneled down to his destination when he inexplicably disappeared. But the search for the tablet did not end there.....
- THE HEROINE is Sera Patterson, a somewhat snooty eighteen-year-old who lives with her dad, mom and younger brother in the most exclusive suburb of Los Angeles, Oak Haven. Sera's world comes crashing down when her dad is killed in a horrific accident in those very same tunnels beneath Los Angeles while working on the new underground transportation system. Her family is plunged into poverty, she loses all her stuck-up friends, and she is forced to reevaluate what really matters in life. All Sera's dad leaves behind is a mysterious key. Sera places the key on a chain around her neck and vows to find out what really happened to her dad.
- THE HERO is Peter Hergovich, an exotic and enigmatic character who shows up in town with his otherworldly friends, calling themselves the Night Angels and claiming to be sent for Sera's protection. Sera falls hard for one Peter. But does he love her in return, as he claims, or is it just a front in order to possess the key?
- THE VILLAIN is the sinister Fabian Gore, a wealthy real estate tycoon who is funding the underground transportation system. I cannot tell you who Gore really is, that would spoil the fun of reading about him, but he is Sera's nemesis and he is determined to take the key and find the tablet.
- THE CHALLENGE: Sera must find the door that the key unlocks and protect the Secrets to the Origins of Life from those who want to possess it. The longer Sera wears the key around her neck, the greater her own power grows. Will she be able to resist the desire to possess the tablet herself? Will she be willing to do what she needs to do, even if it means giving up Peter, the man she loves
- THE MYSTERY: someone or something is channeling power to the Queen and her Ancient Ones--vampires who have been subdued and are kept in vaults beneath churches all over the world, with stakes through their hearts. Sera must discover and stop whoever is awakening the dead. If she doesn't do this in time, the world will be plunged into a bloodbath or untold proportions.
- Night Angels Chronicles has six books: Key of Mystery; Book of Angels; Cave of Secrets; Sword of Death; Throne of Desire; Door of Destiny. The reader is taken on an epic
I have nineteen children's books published, most of which I also illustrated. I am the co-founder of InsideOUT Writers, a creative writing program for incarcerated youth, and the founder of My World Project, connecting children in remote areas around the world. So far, we have connected kids in Amazonian Ecuador, the Sahara Desert in Morocco and the Hoopa Reservation in Northern California.
My essay Reflections from Istanbul, an excerpt from my childhood memoir INTO THE WORLD, won the 2015 New Millennium Writings Nonfiction Award. My essay Why I Choose to Remember My 50th Blood-Bath of a Birthday Instead of Trying to Forget It was an editor's pick in the 2015 Pooled Ink journal.
I've lived in England, France, Switzerland and Slovenia. I love nothing more than hopping on a plane and going someplace far away from Los Angeles. One of my favorites is Istanbul! If I'm not traveling to exotic locales and having adventures, you can find me teaching boxing, kick-boxing and self-defense in a boxing gym. I am a second-degree black belt in Tang Soo Do and have trained extensively in Eskrima and Okinawan weapons and boxing and kickboxing.