Format: Hardcover | 369 pages
Release Date: February 2, 2016
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: Young Adult | Science Fiction | Fantasy
The enchantment continues. . . .
The universe of the Lunar Chronicles holds stories - and secrets - that are wondrous, vicious, and romantic. How did Cinder first arrive in New Beijing? How did the brooding soldier Wolf transform from young man to killer? When did Princess Winter and the palace guard Jacin realize their destinies?
With nine stories - five of which have never before been published - and an exclusive never-before-seen excerpt from Marissa Meyer's novel, Heartless, about the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, Stars Above is essential for fans of the bestselling and beloved Lunar Chronicles.
STARS ABOVE, by author Marissa Meyer, is a collection of NINE short stories that feature characters from The Lunar Chronicles. Let's just admit it, this collection is for die hard fans who just can't get enough of Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Scarlet, Wolf, or Carswell. Whenever I review anthologies like this one, I break them up into each story so that you know who is feature, and why you should read it. So, let's get right to it!
- The Keeper is apparently being sold as the prequel to The Lunar Chronicles. It features Scarlet's grandmother Michelle Benoit who hid Princess Selene away from Luna for 8 years and suggested her name, Cinder Linh. Little Scarlet does make a cameo which is interesting once you think about. Michelle did such a marvelous job keeping Selene secret, that not even Scarlet found out. B+
- Glitches is next up. Released Previously as The Lunar Chronicles #0.5. This story is the prequel to Cinder and how she was taken to New Beijing to meet her new family, and ends up seeing the results of the letomosis blue fever on humans. I have to say that Garan Linh never really got his just due until the end of Winter. Sad. This is also our first look at Iko, who will become Cinders best friend. C+
- The Queen's Army is the prequel to Scarlet. Previously released as The Lunar Chronicles #1.5. The story features Ze'ev Kesley aka Wolf who will eventually fall for Scarlet, and help save Cinder. Meyers dives right into this story with 12-year old Z being taken away from his family, and genetically modified to becoming more wolf than man. Loved seeing how Z became one of the Queen's soldiers, and the brutality of being challenged on an almost daily basis for years. B+
- Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky features our favorite scoundrel, and flirt, Captain Carswell who at the time of this story, is 13-years old and living with his family in Los Angeles. Carswell has always been a flirt, and a schemer. In this short story, we get a look at how he's never really changed over the years. Previously released as The Lunar Chronicles #3.1 B-
- After Sunshine Passes By is the prequel to Cress. 9 year old Crescent Moon is a shell and has absolutely no rights on Luna. Levana has installed a law that mandates that all shells have no purpose and must donate blood monthly. In this story, we see how Cress ended up in her Satellite spying on Prince Kai and the Eastern Commonwealth. One could say that Cress was perhaps too smart for her own good, and was used to the max by Levana's henchmen and women. B-
- The Princess and the Guard is the prequel to Winter. It is pretty obvious from the title that the story is about Winter Blackburn and Sir Jacin Clay, her best friend, and her guard. I dare say that I adored Winter because of what she had to go through, and how much she lost to the evil machinations of Levana who tried to tear her down, but failed. One could ask why this wasn't part of Winter, but as long as we get to see the reason why Winter gave up her manipulation abilities, and how she really ended up with a scarred face, I am perfectly fine with it. A-
- The Little Android is supposedly a retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Little Mermaid." Set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles, I am not really sure what the point of this story was. In summary, Cyborg saves humans life, realizes she has some of glitch that allows her to actually feel something towards the human, learns that there are others like her who can feel emotions. C+
- The Mechanic is the prequel to Cinder. This is from Kai's perspective as he first meets the mechanic known as Cinder Linh. This story coincides with actual events from Cinder, IE, Kai's father falling to the Letumosis fever, and Kai attempting to find out what Levana is really up to. B-
- Something Old, Something New is the epilogue to Winter and the best story of the entire book. Summarizing, it is has been 2 years since the end of Winter. Cinder (Selene) has abdicated her crown, and is flying to France with Iko, Carswell, and Crest for the wedding of Scarlett and Wolf. Oh, you thought this was going to be about Cinder and Kai, didn't you? Sorry. I shed a few tears reading this book. I adore these characters, and will miss them now that the series has been wrapped up. A-
P.S - Just realized that Meyers has another book coming out called Wires and Nerves (The Lunar Chronicles #4.1) releasing in 2017. Sounds like graphic novels to me.
|Follow Me: Gizmo's Reviews Blog | Facebook | @GizmosReviews | Goodreads|