Release Date: October 27, 2015
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Dr. Eliza Jekyll, heroine of the electrifying The Diabolical Miss Hyde—an edgy steampunk retelling of the classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde—investigates a bizarre murder case in an alternate Victorian London while battling her treacherous secret half: Lizzie Hyde.
Solving the infamous Chopper case has helped crime scene physician Dr. Eliza Jekyll establish her fledgling career in the chauvinistic world of Victorian law enforcement. But the scrutiny that comes with her newfound fame is unwelcome for a woman with a diabolical secret. And there is the mercurial Royal Society agent and wolf man Remy Lafayette. Does he want to marry her, eat her, or burn her at the stake? Though Eliza is uncertain about Remy, her dark and jealous shadow self, Lizzie, wants to steal the magnetic and persistent agent, and usurp Eliza’s life.
It’s impossible to push Remy away when he tempts her with the one thing she can’t resist: a bizarre crime. The search for a bloodthirsty ritual torturer dubbed the Pentacle Killer draws them into a terrifying world of spies, art thieves, and evil alchemy, where the price of immortality is madness?or damnation—and only Lizzie’s dark ingenuity can help Eliza survive.
As Eliza and Remy race to thwart a foul conspiracy involving the sorcerous French, they must also overcome a sinister enemy who is all too close: the vengeful Lizzie, determined to dispose of Eliza for good.
But let's not talk about that right now, instead let me tell you a few things about THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL. A book that I'm glad I powered through because I was having my own crisis and determination won this round. Whoop! (les reading slump)
- It might be a minor detail for some people, but I love how Viola Carr introduced THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL:
- More serial killers are coming out of the woodwork and it's difficult to solve such cases especially when something supernatural is involved. It was a fantastic gothic surprise when all the pieces were fitted together and the final picture was revealed. *hint hint*
- We also get to know more about the hunky Remy Lafayette, I love his backstory, and Eliza got to meet his brother, Francois. Curious fellow, not a fan of his, but he has the same passionate fire that Remy has.
- The love story between Eliza-Remy-Lizzie continues to be interesting. How would you like to be in a love triangle with yourself, in this case it's with your alter ego? It's mind boggling, super intriguing, and a brilliant twist. How do you resolve this situation? Have another dude for Lizzie? Or should Remy be with both Lizzie and Eliza? Devious situation, and another reason why THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL make for such a compelling read. The personal drama balances the supernatural shenanigans that are happening in this story.
- Which brings me to the heart of THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL. This novel has been a very brutal installment for Lizzie Hyde, and definitely upped the raging battle and conflict between her and Eliza Jekyll. How do you even manage sharing a body? If you're familiar with the tale, Lizzie-Eliza is not a clinical case of split personality. They're two different people sharing the same body, opposite personalities, opposite desires, values, etc., the "vessel" transforms depending on who has control of it, but how do you coexist with an agressive roommate?
I loved how VCarr played this internal conflict out. Like Lizzie and Eliza, I kept looking around this world, trying to figure out how they can get themselves out of this dreadful situation. It also doesn't help that their father, the original Jekyll-Hyde, is out and about, throwing more problems their way. There's a surprise here that you won't want to miss if you're following the series.
Bravo, VCarr, for another hit! THE DEVIOUS DR. JEKYLL was indeed a devious tale. I love the side discussions/ponderings that Lizzie-Eliza's situation brought up, not to mention the murder mystery that was stimulating in its complexity, and a fantastic tie-up to the series' gothic feel.
See you when book 3 comes out!