Release Date: September 14, 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Fan-favorite urban fantasista Ree Reyes and her crew of Geekomancers—humans that derive supernatural powers from pop culture—take on their biggest foes yet in this fourth book of the Geekomancy series.
When Ree’s long time nemesis Lucretia is finally brought to trial and found guilty for the deadly attack on Grognard’s, the Geekomancer community breathes a collective sigh of relief. But Ree and her crew soon discover that Lucretia has three very angry, very dangerous sisters who won’t rest until Eastwood—a fellow Geekomancer—is killed.
What follows is an adventure packed with epic battles, a bit of romance, and enough geeky W00t moments to fill your monthly quota of adventure and fun.Fan-favorite urban fantasista Ree Reyes and her crew of Geekomancers—humans that derive supernatural powers from pop culture—take on their biggest foes yet in this fourth book of the Geekomancy series.
HEXOMANCY by Michael R. Underwood was a blast (as usual)! It closes a plot arc that started in Geekomancy, and I certainly hope it's not the last installment of this series. In case you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Ree Reyes, fanboys and fangirls, like Ree, are the heroes in this creative urban fantasy series. Like wouldn't it be cool if you get to be a Jedi for a day. Or how about Black Widow, or Spiderman? Cool right! Now you understand why I'm totally hooked on this series.
Here's the 411 on HEXOMANCY:
- The novel opens with a trial followed by a thrilling combat between Ree and hexomancer (a witch on crack), Lucretia d'Fete, which concluded with the latter cursing Ree. Quite the opening and it's not even a quarter in. HEXOMANCY in a nutshell is non. Stop. Action. (read excerpt below)
- Like in previous books, HEXOMANCY gave a strong and honorific nod to iconic pop culture influencers complete with running commentaries from the characters. It also has a lot of Steampunk references, and as always, characters are introduced with their stats included like strength, IQ, stamina, dexterity, and of course, Geekomancy. (read excerpt below)
- Ree Reyes has grown so much since Geekomancy. She's no longer the promising Padawan and has become a strong, formidable, and resourceful Geekomancer. HEXOMANCY also had a scene very reminiscent of The Empire Strikes Back. So I hope there's another novel in the works because I'd like to know what's next in Ree's personal life after this. Eep!
- There's some romance and it was cute. Although I personally have doubts about it (nitpicking!). Boyfriending your bestfriend's ex is breaking Girl Code IMO. Then again, Ree Reyes' romantic life has always been nutty. So...
- The conflict is layered with a lot of twists and unexpected turns. It was definitely a white-knuckle conflict resolution.
- HEXOMANCY is not all fun and games though. Mr. Underwood pulled a fast one on me and suddenly I'm making a face. A very broken hearted face! Why?!
HEXOMANCY was a satisfying and exciting ending to the first arc of Ree Reyes. There are new things that came up, when a door closes, another one opens. It's kinda like that so I'm really looking forward to reading what's next for our adorable heroine. I should also mention that the coolest part of it all is getting blurbed on the cover! Sorry for bragging, but you all know how awesome this is! And with that, thank you for giving me my moment.
Want to know more? Check out the other books & this article wherein Michael R. Underwood discusses the series and sepculative fiction.
Website | Facebook | @MikeRUnderwood | Goodreads
hosted by Unconventional Book Views