Release Date: September 21, 2015
Publisher: Pocket Star
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Boston schoolteacher Ann Phillips knows better than to trust the Fae, but when one of her second graders turns up to class with both arms covered in magical tattoos, she has no choice but to turn to Finn MacUmhaill, the dangerous and charismatic Fae crime lord who controls Charlestown, for help.
Finn MacUmhaill, leader of the Fianna, has had his eye on Ann Phillips for months, but a recent showdown with an old enemy has left his house broken. Between the crippling blow dealt to the Fianna and his son’s recent defection, he hasn’t had time to woo the pretty redhead. When she turns up on his doorstep asking for his help, he thinks he’s found the way to win her, but before he can act, the child goes missing, kidnapped by a rogue Druid who has discovered the key to destroying the wall between worlds.
Now, Finn and Ann must ally themselves with an old adversary—the treacherous Prince Consort—to save the boy, or risk the destruction of the wall that keeps the corrupt Fae Queen and her Court at bay.
You're probably asking Braine, why would I add BLADE DANCE to my already hulking TBR?! My answer to that is if you like or love:
- Any tale that involves the Fae, the aes sidhe or the Tuatha Dé Danann, then BLADE DANCE, and the Cold Iron Series for that matter, is definitely your cuppa. These Fae don't carry wands and sing boppity bop, they're fierce, very ancient, very Celtic, and definitely vicious when needed.
- Finn MacUmhaill and the rest of the Fae featured here are very Alpha. And it doesn't matter if they're the lead or secondary characters. They are electric, dangerous, and definitely alluring. As for Finn, he is what you may call a tortured soul. It's been years, but Finn's still grieving for his departed wife, Brigid, and this is one backstory you don't want to miss. It sure made me soften up a lot towards Finn, made me like him just a tiny bit. Okay, A LOT!
- Strong yet vulnerable heroines. Don't be fooled by Ann Phillips and her dedication to her students. This girl may be soft and sweet on the outside, but she's made with fire. Well, actually something else. Something very ancient and powerful. Does berserker ring a bell?
- Sexy romances. McDermott can write a powerful fantasy, and girl can she write a steamy love story too! I guess living for two thousand years has its benefits. Finn sure knows a trick (or a thousand) to turn up the heat in the bedroom! I will never loot at a belt the same way again.
- Family dramas and rivalries complete with cunning villains and shady characters. This series never runs out of it!
BLADE DANCE is a game changer and a linchpin of sorts. I believe the gangwar is about to end, or at least Finn and Miach are on a ceasefire. The mystery regarding the missing child was thrilling, and it revealed yet a few more details about The Queen and her Prince Consort, and their plans of breaking the wall that thinly separates our world from theirs. I was completely absorbed by the tale ,and I love the diversity of characters and creatures featured in this series. Who doesn't love a cool otherworldly party?!
For those curious, yes, you have to read Cold Iron in order because there's a series arc that hints on The Wild Hunt, and despite all these rivalries between the gangs, none of them wants their monarch back. And all are working together to stop that from happening. Not only that, the premise for the next book, including the next couple, is always introduced and thinly interspersed with the current story. So there's a build-up on all angles from the romance to the impending conflict. I tell ya, Cold Iron is a very engrossing and it's a series paranormal romance and urban fantasy fans should definitely check out.
* Pre-order BLADE DANCE for only $1.99