Release Date: January 6, 2015
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Genre: Paranormal Romance
They’re on target
They’re as alpha as men can get
The Dallas SWAT team is hiding one helluva secret…they’re a pack of wolf shifters.
The team of elite sharpshooters is ultra-secretive—and also the darlings of Dallas. This doesn’t sit well with investigative journalist Mackenzie Stone. They must be hiding something…and she’s determined to find out what.
Keeping Mac at a distance proves impossible for SWAT team commander Gage Dixon. She’s smart, sexy, and makes him feel alive for the first time in years. But she’s getting dangerously close to the truth—and perilously close to his heart...
HAPPY NEW YEAR! And what better way to kick off 2015 than a new series featuring deadly and sexy as sin werewolves courtesy of Paige Tyler! HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF not only makes me bust out my Duran Duran playlist, it sure made my heart race from the heavy flirting and smexing between Gage Dixon, SWAT team leader and pack Alpha, and Mackenzie Stone, award winning journalist and nosier than your grandma during the holidays.
Since PTyler is breaking HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF down to you below, I thought I'd do the same, whip out the bullets and give you a rundown of my thoughts and feelings about SWAT (Special Wolf Alpha Team) 1:
- The first 2/3 of the story focused on developing the attraction between Gage and Mac. Of course there were necessary introductions but PTyler didn't bother much with myths and world building.
- There's no mythology here and unless I missed it, the werewolves here were born with a recessive DNA which was triggered later on in life by stressful situations. In this case, the SWAT team are military vets. No world building either, nobody knows werewolves exist and there's no paranormal world/group to speak off. Don't expect vamps, fairies, or some otherworldly to join in the fun.
- The high powered action didn't develop until the last third of the book. However there is a LOT of action that went on beneath the sheets.
- I wish there was more werewolf stuff meaning Gage only shifted one time here and he was more of a man-beast than a full fledged wolf.
- Mackenzie was irritating, which is a given since she is a journalist out for a story. I did love her character development though, hers was a moral conflict between choosing a story and her relationship with Gage.
- Gage might be an Alpha but he didn't go caveman here, no irrational acts of possessiveness and domination.
- The side characters were alright but I didn't really get to invest on any of them as the story focused on Mac and Gage.
- HUNGERY LIKE THE WOLF is paranormal romance, expect insta-mating.
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF will make your heart beat fast for different reasons because of the pace and the quick romance that developed between Gage and Mac. Also it's supernatural-lite making it a happy medium for all readers of romance regardless of where their taste for the paranormal lies. PTyler is fast making her mark on this genre and having read two previous shifter novels from her, she has a specific style that I'm growing to love more and more. Her books are always a good time, I find her writing style to be effortless reading and her stories, despite their rather complex plots, simplified and easy to get acclimated to. Definitely a writer I'm going to follow more this year.
Seven Things Readers Should Know About HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF (SWAT 1)
by Paige Tyler
- The series is about a pack of alpha werewolves working for the city of Dallas as their SWAT Team, or as they like to call themselves, Special Wolf Alpha Team. They’re tight. They’re on target. They’re as alpha as men can get. Oh, and they’re pretty hunky, too!
- The werewolves all possess certain basic characteristics, like claws and fangs, exceptional vision and sense of smell, strength, speed, and the ability to heal from almost any wound. Although, a shot in the head or the heart will kill them. Beyond that, the werewolves run the gamut when it comes to their appearance. Some are limited to their human form with some werewolf capabilities, while others can shift completely into a wolf. It all depends on their personalities and acceptance of the beast inside them.
- The werewolves tend to lead a pretty violent life. The chances of at least some of them getting shot, blown-up, stabbed, or violently beaten in each book is pretty much a hundred percent. But they don’t whine or complain about it. They simply go seethe team medics and get fixed up. Besides, women think scars are sexy, as long as you have a good story to go along with them.
- Gage Dixon, the SWAT Commander, has spent the last few years slowly putting his team together one werewolf at a time, but he has his hands full with this pack. As alphas, these guys tend to be a bit aggressive, prone to snarling and fighting each other. They also have a habit of destroying a lot of property when they butt heads
- For obvious reason, the werewolves in the series go to great lengths to hide their identity. That means no claws or fangs in public. The same goes for running too fast, jumping too far, or lifting too much. If people can see what they’re doing, try their best to act normal. Of course, that can be hard to do when you’re a SWAT officer going up against a bad guy armed with an automatic weapon.
- For all their hard work at staying hidden, someone has become curious. Mackenzie Stone (Mac to her friends) is an investigative journalist for a local paper who decides that these guys are a little too good. They’re the toast of the town with an incredible arrest and conviction rate, as well as a reputation forgoing after the worst of the worst in a town full of really bad people. Everyone loves them—even the girl scouts. But when a guy in prison convinces her that the local SWAT team is onsome kind of performance enhancing drug, Mac decides to work her way into the good graces of the Darlings of Dallas and expose them for what they really are.
- Gage knows exactly what Mackenzie is up to, and he’ll do anything to protect his pack. But when both of them start to feel the undeniable connection between them growing, which one going to back down and risk everything for a shot at The One.
Paige Tyler is the USA Today bestselling author of sexy, romantic fiction. Paige writes books about hunky alpha males and the kickbutt heroines who fall in love with them. Visit www.paigetylertheauthor.com. She and her very own military hero (aka her husband) live on the Florida coast with their adorable dog.
Website | Blog | Facebook | @PaigeTyler
Pinterest | Google+ | Goodreads