Tropes. Some are good, some are bad, and like beauty and shoes, it's relative. Some works for us, some don't. These either need to die, rest, or get reinvented because like your common working gal/guy, they've been around the block one too many times. It's tired, lost its sheen, and no longer excite dear 'ol me.
Let me just highlight that this post is VERY SUBJECTIVE and I only want to open a discussion and not offend anybody.
- LOVE TRIANGLE: There are a few exceptions but I think a lot of us are tired of this especially in YA. Now part of me can suspend disbelief because in the real world it's what we call dating and if you're especially hot, you are probably not limited to 2 admirers at a given time. Here's why I say die on love triangles!!. It's what they do to the females in particular that drives me nuts! In the beginning, the heroine is fresh faced, likable, ordinary even then BAM! She scored herself two gorgeous guys and suddenly she's this whiney, feeling pretty, self centered beeotch who will tease her suitors to death, sometimes literally, because she can't make up her mind!! Bitch trust me, you ain't all that.
- VIRGINS: In this day and age where sex has become a marketing tool, I admire virgins who managed to keep their legs closed up until they're (new) adults, that takes a lot of discipline not to cash it in with the first gorgeous guy that asks for it. What I dislike is said virgins turn to sluts at the drop of a pin and they usually do so when the lucky guy in question is as rich or richer than Croesus! Really?! And here I thought you know that your hymen in invaluable, I wasn't aware that there's a bidding war going on. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong here, I have yet to meet a virgin who, regardless of textbook knowledge and hundreds of hours of porn, knows EXACTLY what to do in the sack. Like their skills are so on point I wonder if they've been practicing using a different orifice.
- BORED BILLIONAIRES: This partnered with virgins AND BDSM makes me want to pull my hair out. There's only a handful of ways where you can reinvent, Christian Grey, okay! And is being a billionaire so boring the only thing that can break the monotony is a virgin sex slave so naive, and sometimes stupid, she'll agree to be tied, hit, gagged, and fucked seven ways to Sunday? What happened to world travelling, mergers and acquisitions, swimming with sharks, or going to the moon/Mars? And is kink limited to the 1% only?
- FUCK THE PROBLEMS literally. This is popular with super angsty reads. I'm not a prude so I can appreciate the value of a good lay but surely you can't fuck your problems away PERMANENTLY?! There's not enough orgasms in the world that can exorcise your demons or make your traumatic past disappear regardless of your partner's hotness factor.
- CRIMINALS: I'm going to be biased here and say that I can tolerate anti-heroes in fantasy books, assassins, hunters, etc. because they operate on a different code. But criminals on contemporary romances? Nope! I know bad guys need some loving too but let's stop glamorizing this type of "forbidden love" okay? And I can assure you 99% of them don't look like these two:
- INSTA-LOVE: Insta-lust yes but love?! Nah!
- MARY SUE & HER ZANY BFF: Why does the BFF aka supporting female cast, has to be funnier and more interesting than the heroine? Why can't the BFF be the heroine if she has more to offer in the personality department ergo make the story more engaging and upbeat? And Mary Sue types? Please! Nobody's THAT perfect and lovable, more often than not, it's these types who have a lot to hide.
- CONDOMS ARE OPTIONAL: You just met a guy, don't know shit about him, things got hot and heavy, you're on the pill and hornier than you've ever been and you want the peen stat! You hesitate then he says "I'm clean," you take his word for it and allows him entrance to paradise and the angels sing. This is where Christian Grey has my vote, he made a big production out of getting tested and he did NOT allow Ana to take his word for it and vice versa, virgin or not. Come on authors, with all the rabid diseases out there please do your part and promote SAFE FUCKING!
I ran out of things to gripe about today and I'm sure I missed out on a few. Now it's your turn to share your thoughts, what's your least favorite book trope?
I know it's a day after Halloween but where I'm from, we don't really celebrate All Hallow's Eve. Instead we celebrate All Soul's Day every November 2nd in which we honor our dearly departed by visiting their graves and sharing spooky stories.
This is a US Only giveaway. S
orry to those who doesn't qualify, postage is a bitch but I'll make it up to you soon!